Deep Tissue Massage Therapy Benefits For Blood PressureMonday, November 4th, 2019
Massage therapy is known for having many benefits, including reducing symptoms of high blood pressure. Studies have shown that it can positively affect your sympathetic nervous system, which is responsible for raising blood pressure when you are stressed. Here is some information that may help you decide that massage therapy can help you.
What do the studies say about massage therapy and blood pressure?
One study published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine in 2006 presented results about different types of massage therapy and their benefits. There were 150 participants who received different types of this therapy. Those who received Swedish massage showed lower blood pressure results, while trigger point therapy and sports massage increased blood pressure.
Another study published in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine in 2008 showed that deep tissue massage used with soothing music may also reduce blood pressure. This study also showed a potential reduction in heart rate.
The causes of hypertension
High blood pressure, also known as hypertension, can be caused by a variety of factors. This includes lifestyle factors like poor diet, smoking cigarettes, drinking too much alcohol, and being sedentary. Medications and lifestyle changes are important treatment options for those with this condition. Reducing stress is also vital and massage therapy can help you do this.
Using deep tissue massage to help with high blood pressure
Although it has not yet been proven that this type of therapy helps with hypertension, studies support this claim. By looking at pre and post-massage blood pressure and heart rates, the results were clear. By increasing serotonin and reducing stress, high blood pressure can be decreased, at least in the short-term.
Tips for your first deep tissue massage
Before getting any new alternative treatment, speak with your doctor. They will be able to tell you if this can be added to your treatment plan. Here are some other tips that will help you maximize the results from your deep tissue massage.
- You should expect pressure, as the name of this therapy implies. The therapist will apply pressure to certain areas of your body to relieve pain.
- You should relax yourself as much as possible beforehand. This will help you enjoy the experience more.
- Be open about your preferences with the therapist. If something hurts or if the pressure is too uncomfortable, the therapist will listen to your needs and make adjustments.
- You should drink water before and after deep tissue massage. This will help keep your muscles hydrated and assist in the outward movement of toxins throughout your body.
- Deep tissue massage offers other benefits, including pain relief, stress relief, and a reduction of scar tissue from old injuries.
Deep tissue massage in Amarillo, Texas
If you think this type of therapy may be able to help with your blood pressure, contact Back To Basics Massage Studio. Our professional therapists are focused on helping you relax and heal. You can reach us at (806) 322-3706 or Send Us an Email to learn more about our Deep Tissue Massage services. You can also book an appointment Online or visit us at 3714 Olsen Blvd in Amarillo.